Saturday, December 31, 2011

An Introduction

Hello all and welcome to my attempt at a gaming blog.  To start it off, I believe that an introduction is in order.  My name is *DEADNAME* Neumann, I go by the universal screen name of Zyphron37, I’m a red haired 17-year-old living in a Chicago suburb.  I have been playing video games since I was 6-years-old and got an N64 for Christmas.  I own an N64, 2 GBAs, A Wii, a DS, a 3DS, and an Xbox 360.  I was a huge Nintendo and Sonic fanboy back in the day, but I decided that’s it made more sense to be a fanboy of video games in general.  I plan on giving my two cents on occurrences in the Game industry, write reviews for games, talk about Anime that I like and maybe just some random rubbish about the insane dribble that oozes from my mind.

I would like to clarify my review scoring system.  I give games that I believe to be average a 24/40 (I prefer whole numbers, in my opinion, decimals and fractions shouldn’t mix).  And while I will give a lot of high scores, that’s because I tend to buy games that are, well, good.  Who would want to buy something they believe to be average, when there is something great right next to it, and for a cheaper price.  I will still try to be a bit harsher than other reviewers, but there are times when they’re right, and expect me to directly follow the crowd then, and only then.

I am also not very graceful in terms of grammar, so feel free to correct me.  I am also open to any criticism, as long as you aren’t just obscenely bitchy.  By the way, note that updates will be sporadic for a while, and until I fall into a schedule that I can follow.

To clear a bit of ground work, here are my thoughts on The most recent systems:


Playstation Vita:  I think this device looks wonderful, $250 for what amounts to a portable PS3.  With a downloadable backlog of over 500 PSP games and some excellent PSOne games, it makes it a financial and time draining nightmare for someone who never owned any kind of PlayStation.  However the games are available for download at a cheaper price, and don’t follow a designated price, meaning games can be anywhere between $20-$50.  Of said games many such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Army Corps of Hell, and Touch My Katamari  all look to be excellent games, and those are just launch titles.  

I was drooling over it until they announced the price for memory cards, which are about 3 times as much money than SD cards, I plan on buying a 32GB SD card with the Vita, bringing up the system’s cost to $350, which is insane for a handheld.  I understand that Sony wants a secure system, but why is it priced like flash memory from 2003?  Either way, I’m looking forward to buying the system, but I’m holding out until Sony can fix this memory card BS.  Besides, I have a massive backlog thanks to Black Friday.

Nintendo 3DS:  I bought a 3DS at it’s launch of 27/3/2011 for $250, and didn’t buy a game until Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D on 19/6/2011.  It is a decision that I regret, especially considering that you could have gotten it and the 20 free Ambassador games if you bought it before it’s large price drop of $80 went live if you got it from most department stores.  Since then I bought a few DSiWare games, the overpriced, but fun, Star Fox 64 3D, and the supposed system seller, Super Mario 3D Land.  I am sorely disappointed in Nintendo for having no games at launch, all though I blame the moronic investors they got with the Wii printing money, who demanded the system to come out before the end of the 2011 fiscal year. Yet, the worst seems to be over and the 3DS is selling fairly well, despite the fact only 25% of US children want one. 



Nintendo Wii:  This thing was a sales monster.  It broke records and was impossible to find for over a year, it was a miracle that my Mom who worked right next to a Gamestop managed to get one in Lat April.  Hell, on it’s fifth year it still managed to sell half a million units in the US on one day.  The first year of the Wii was pretty damn good compared to the 3DS, but there was still a gap between titles, but we got a new Zelda, Mario, and Metroid.  It was a dream that was topped of 4 months later with my most anticipated game of all time, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Then Nintendo stopped making games for the next year and a half, saved only by New Super Mario Bros. Wii, only to come back with a good year in 2010.  After the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns on 21/11/10, Nintendo of America stopped releasing games people cared about.  

However, Nintendo of America has numerous games to bring to the states, there is very little excuse why a giant company can’t translate a game, while smaller companies like XSEED and Atlus can bring over games that are considered successes if they sell a mere 200,000.  Nintendo of America recently, licensed Xenoblade Chronicles, while not the prettiest or most marketable game, it received the second highest review score average of Wii games released in 2011. it was the primary game of the fan movement, Operation Rainfall, a group dedicated to get a multi-billion dollar company to dub a handful of games, some of which just need licensing.  I can only hope that the other two games the movement is fighting for, The Last Story and Pandora’s Tower, receive a release before the Wii U’s launch, which I’ll get to in a minute.   I will always be optimistic about Nintendo, but I’ve been bitter towards them ever since fiscal year 2009, where they release Wii Music instead of Captain Rainbow.


Wii U:  I am unimpressed with the Wii U.  With the stellar announcement alongside a LEGO openworld game, a lack of exclusives, multiple rumors, and the fact that a redesign is currently happening, it doesn’t look good.  Nintendo is the company who demanded Third Party’s allegiance just to have their game’s published back in the NES days.  They claim that things will be different, and I ask them to show us some exclusives, anyone who owns a PS3 or Xbox 360 doesn’t have any real need to buy a Wii U, considering half of it’s library is ports.  The reveal was really hyped up too. The rumors about Project Cafe were interesting and I was regaining my Nintendo fanboyism after the 3DS’ awful launch.  There just is nothing interesting other than how it can be used for a hand full of neat minigames, even more so than the Wii.  
I want to love this system, but the is just not enough information given thus far, but there is one rumor that could make the system far more interesting, the rumor of upscaling Wii games.  The Dolphin emulator is something that allows you to play Gamecube and Wii games in HD, rumor has it that the Wii U will have something similar built in.  Look it up and you can see the drastic improvement between the SD version of Skyward Sword and the HD version, which I believe looks better than most 360 and PS3 games.  HD is something that can make a big difference if there is something that’s visually pleasing recieving the upgrade.  Namely how Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is in my top 10% in terms of best looking HD games, it’s due to the colorful and cartoony art direction.  Although the games was a pint trash, but I’ll get to that in the next bit. 
Xbox 360:  I originally disliked this system, what with everyone only talking about Gears of War, Madden, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, and Call of Duty when talking about the game library.  However, during E3 2008, I was watching their press conference out of curiosity, and I caught the reveal of one of the few HD games I actually wanted to play, Final Fantasy XIII!  I was ecstatic, it was the first E3 I ever watched live and there was a few games that happened to convince me to get an Xbox 360, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Fable II, Prince Of Persia, and Final Fantasy XIII.  I plan on reviewing all of these games, with the exception of  Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, which I was so disgusted by the papermachet physics and horrible changes in the art direction to beat the demo.  I started playing games on it during Christmas 2008, and have been ever since.  It has been my primary system for 3 years and I love it for the thousands of hours of entertainment it has brought me.  But as I’ve always said, everything good has a bit of feces inside of it.  

First let’s talk about the community, I hate the 360 community.  I have harsh views on certain people, and a lot of those people have 360s, they only talk about Call of Duty and nothing else.  I have never actually played the game, but it could give me a daily handjob and I still would ask for people to expand their game library.  I get that Xbox Live is an overpriced $60, as is nearly every game at launch, but I’ll get to that in a later post.  Yet I still think you should use your $200+ investment on more than one game.  I have bought an extensive 50 games this year, and recieved 25 free games one way or another, you don’t need to be as obsessive as me, but I think you should experiment a little. 

Secondly, the Kinect.  The Kinect is overpriced, underdeveloped, harmless, and a massive sales boost.  it is officially the fastest selling consumer electronics device, of all time.  It just doesn’t cattier to the audience who bought a 360 prior to it’s launch.  Yet unlike Nintendo, they have massive third party support, or everything is just multiplatform nowadays, and that is the easiest way to make money in the industry.  Other than that, it is a good system, but it could really use either a successor, or something with a bit higher specs.
PS3:  The system had an awful launch, it looked better in 2008, was really good in 2009, and a friend of mine got one.  I wanted one as well, but lacked the funds and time to invest in the great first party and exclusive titles.  Although, I’m happy with my current systems and massive backlog of ~20 games.  In order to prevent myself from wanting one, I tend to ignore most exclusives, so don’t expect me to talk about The Last of Us, or anything like that anytime soon


PC Gaming:  I can’t type with more than two fingers and without looking at the keyboard, what makes you think I could play most PC games, especially when I have an eMac from 2004?  I respect PC gaming, envy their mods, dislike how superior they act towards “Konsole Kiddies” like myself, and think that Steam is bloody brilliant. 


iOS:  I think mobile gaming could end up shrinking the industry over the next several years, but it could also help it grow.  If someone is introduced to games via their iPod Touch, or facebook, or whatever, they might end up trying something more complicated, or be given something from a friend.  I don’t consider it the replacement of handheld, I consider it a separate entity that handhelds should learn something from, especially in the pricing department.  But Angry Birds can go straight to hell for all I care, fuck that game and all games that feel like physics homework.  I respect the series, but I don’t believe that it deserved to sell half a billion units.  I personally would like to invest money into an iPhone, but, again, the massive backlog.

I plan on having my first review hit tomorrow, and the second one will be posted on the following Saturday.  In case you’re wondering what the title means, it is me playing on the fact that I have Asperger’s, and how some people who have it call themselves Aspies.  I thought that was funny, so I named the site after it.